Political Relations [fr]
Franco-Singaporean relations are excellent and dense in many areas. Prime Minister AYRAULT’s official visit to Singapore in October 2012 raised the bilateral relationship to the level of a strategic partnership that spans in many fields : political, defence, cultural and scientific in particular.
Political relations are punctuated by regular high-level visits, especially since 2010:
- Prime Minister LEE Hsien Loong’s official visit to France from July 13 to 15, 2018 led to the adoption of an ambitious roadmap between France and Singapore on strengthening digital innovation, internet governance and cybersecurity. The Prime Minister also attended the July 14 parade as Guest of Honor to the President of the Republic Emmanuel MACRON.
- The President of the Republic Francois HOLLANDE was on a state visit to Singapore from March 26 to 27, 2017. This visit, following the state visit of Singaporean President Tony TAN Keng Yam in 2015, was the first state visit to Singapore by a French President. It was in particular the occasion to announce the Joint France-Singapore Year of Innovation 2018 which allowed to strengthen our scientific and technological partnerships and cooperation between the networks of start-ups and the administrations in charge of digital transformation. Six priority sectors have been defined within this framework: smart and sustainable cities, fintech, health, aging and biotechnologies, aerospace and advanced industries, startups and emerging technologies and education.
- President of the French Republic François Hollande made a State Visit to Singapore from 26 to 27 March 2017.
- MCI Photo by Fyrol
- The President of the Republic of Singapore Tony TAN Keng Yam made a state visit to France from May 17 to 23, 2015. This visit took place while France and Singapore celebrated in 2015 the fiftieth anniversary of the establishment of their diplomatic relations, France having been one of the first thirteen countries to recognize the Independence of Singapore in 1965.
- Singapore President, Mr Tony TAN Keng Yam, meeting with French President Mr François HOLLANDE during his state visit in France (17 - 23 May 2015)
- F. de la Mure/Maedi
- A year after the visit of Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault to Singapore and the signing of the strategic partnership between our two countries, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong went to France on October 27-30, 2013 on an official visit.
- French Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault and his Singaporean counterpart Lee Hsien Loong
- PMO Photos by Alex Qiu
- Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault was on an official visit to Singapore on October 18 and 19, 2012. He met with the President of the Republic of Singapore Tony TAN and Prime Minister LEE Hsien Loong. Mr. AYRAULT also participated in the Franco-Singaporean Business Forum, in the presence of the Minister of Commerce and Industry of Singapore and many business leaders, before visiting the Sports Hub, led by a French Company.
- Signing of the joint declaration on the Franco-Singaporean strategic partnership on October 18, 2012 on the occasion of Prime Minister Ayrault’s official visit to Singapore.
- MICA by Kenji Soon
Ministerial level visits also take place at a sustained pace. At the level of senior officials, these exchanges are complemented by numerous and regular contacts in particular the annual political consultations between the Secretaries General of the two Ministries of Foreign Affairs, the last session of which took place in March 2019.